Blog PostFoster Employee Satisfaction with These Healthy Ideas
Posted on: May 20, 2016
Category: Employee Satisfaction
The weather is finally warming up, and summer is within reach. Most people are thinking about digging out their summer clothes and diving into warm-weather activities. As everyone emerges from their winter hibernation and gets more active, it’s an ideal time to breathe some fresh air into your company’s wellness program.
For each dollar that is spent on workplace wellness programs, employers reap more than triple the savings in medical costs, according to a study in the American Journal of Public Health.
Finding creative and supportive ways to encourage healthy habits among your employee has a long list of benefits: from increased employee satisfaction, greater productivity, to lower insurance premiums and reduced turnover. Wellness programs often focus on preventative health and lifestyle modification, including:
- Increasing physical activity
- Improving eating habits
- Reducing or managing stress
- Ceasing tobacco use
By making wellness programs fun and easy to incorporate into day-to-day work life, employees are more likely to take advantage of these programs, and reap the rewards for themselves and their employer.
Office Wellness Ideas for Greater Employee Satisfaction
One key to creating successful workplace wellness programs that have a positive affect on employee satisfaction is to know and understand your employees and what motivates them.
If your company is a sneaker manufacturer, perhaps you could sponsor a local 5k race,or start up a weekly staff run after work. If your company creates technical engineering software, maybe a competition for who can log the most steps on their FitBit in a month would appeal to your staff.
The important thing is to get your employees actively involved. You may want to issue an informal survey or poll to find out what your employees would be most interested in doing for your workplace wellness program.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- In-office fitness classes, like yoga or strength training
- Healthy “pot luck” lunch club
- Bring a chef in to teach people how to cook healthy meals at home
- Post tips or recipes for healthy brown-bag lunch choices
- Outdoor or walking meetings
- Replace unhealthy vending machine options like soda and candy bars with milk, sparkling water and nuts, and dried and fresh fruit
- Host lunch and learn gatherings about different wellness topics
- Offer free vaccinations during flu season
- Provide bike parking, and shower and locker room facilities
- Provide discounts on local gym memberships
- Encourage office teams for local charity sports competitions, like 5k runs or walks, or triathalons
- Create incentives for employees to use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Provide stress relief outlets such as fresh-air breaks, walks or talking with a colleague
Get more creative ideas for healthy workplace ideas with this great list of 121 Employee Wellness Program Ideas for Your Office from SnackNation!
Given the high costs of health insurance and employee turnover, effectively managing employee satisfaction and wellness programs can significantly impact a business and its bottom line.
Sherpa LLC helps businesses find, attract and retain talented, committed people. Contact us today to get help with your recruiting and retention needs.